This is the third of three posts on how to give your personal testimony under the framework of speaking about your past, your conversion, and your current walk with God.Speaking About Your Current Walk With God
When speaking about your current walk with God you want to be clear about how the gospel has changed your life. You want to be clear about specific ways that God has changed you. In all of this, you want to be clear that the change is as a result of your current relationship with Jesus Christ – a living Savior. This is not a result of human effort, or self-help, or self-actualization, but a result of your relationship with Jesus.
Early Conversion Example
Jesus has helped me to live for Him ever since that moment. He helped me to honor my parents, He helped me to stay pure through my college years, and He helped me to patiently for my spouse. Jesus continues to live my life for Him and to see all of my life through the lens of belonging wholly to Him. I could not live with such joy, and hope, and meaning without Jesus Christ.Good Person Example
Life was still difficult after trusting in Jesus Christ. I still faced loneliness, and anxiety about the future, and still struggled with bitterness. But every day Jesus has helped me. I am much different that I was back then. I rarely face the loneliness I faced then with so many friends in the church. I am less anxious than I was because Jesus has proven that He will provide for all my needs. And, I no longer struggle with bitterness. Just like Jesus has forgiven me for all my sin, I was able to forgive my husband for his sin. I don’t know what I would do without Jesus.Immoral Person Example
Life has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I no longer live for myself, but for Jesus who died and was raised for me. Sure, I still enjoy my job and I want to work with excellence. But I no longer serve work as an idol, rather my desire is to do my work to the glory of God. I am now working for Him and representing Him. I no longer struggle with meaning and significance. Jesus Christ has given me eternal significance in knowing Him, in living for Him, and in one day spending eternity with Him.Clarity Is Key
The key in all of this is clarity. So, I would encourage you to be clear about the gospel without resorting to Christian terminology. Instead of talking about sin, talk about how you rebelled against God and His authority. Instead of talking about God’s wrath, talk about how you deserved God’s punishment for your rebellion. Instead of talking about repentance, talk about how you made a commitment to stop living outside of God’s authority. In other words, try and be theologically accurate without being theological wordy. You can do this. You can speak the truth about your sin and God’s grace in your own words and make it very personal. Above all else, glorify God.
This is the third of three posts on personal testimonies. See also…
Gospelizing Your Testimony
Speaking About Your Conversion